Based on both studies and practical experiences, it is known that heat from the sun causes roofing material to deteriorate as it is directly affected by the sun's heat and high temperatures. Using components that reflect infrared and ultraviolet rays to reduce such high temperatures can protect these surfaces from harm caused by heat and ultraviolet radiation. Having a white or light colored surface reflects more radiation, while black or dark surfaces absorb almost all of the heat. So it is best to cover a roof with a white or light-colored coating or white gravel to help control such excessive temperatures.
Solar Reflectance Index
This particular system was developed by laboratory experts to evaluate the coolness of roof surfaces. The SRI unit was developed in the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory; the index incorporates the emissivity and reflectivity of a component and translates it into a standardized easy-to-read measure. This standard measure translated to LEED 2.2, which requires a low-slope roof to have a rating of 78 SRI and steep roofs to have a rating of 29 in order to mitigate any heat effects.
It is imperative that roofing materials planned to be used in new construction be closely examined in regards to an SRI rating. Following are several long-term and immediate advantages of using low temperature, reflective panels in the design of roofs.
- Heat Reduction – This results from the reflective properties of the roof covering. Without any protection during the day, a structure will typically have a temperature increase of 10 to 25 degrees above the atmospheric temperature. When heat cannot penetrate during the day, energy bills will be lower.
- Durability - With the application of recommended SRI coatings to roofing panels, durability is increased which means the service life of the panels will be prolonged.
- Energy Efficiency - Even without adequate insulation, standard SRI components greatly improve the energy efficiency of a roofing system.
- Eco-Friendly – SRI compliant coatings and panels are eco-friendly as they can be made from recyclable materials. Use of such material reduces greenhouse gas emissions and air pollution.
- Temperature - For structures without an air-conditioning system, the building interior will still have a comfortable temperature when an SRI coating is applied to the roof.
So when building a cool roofing system, it is important to know more about SRI and LEED 2.2. It would be helpful to consult with the nearest reputable roofing contractor about using the SRI Index to keep a roof cool!
Schulte Roofing Is Well-Known as an Outstanding Roof Houston Company!
Are you looking for a roof Houston company who knows about SRI? Call Schulte Roofing at 800-367-7663 to help select an SRI coating to keep your home cool and comfortable during those warm summer months!