With any roofing job, it is the details that can make the difference between a job well done and one that could be a home maintenance disaster. Hiring a qualified builder is important as something as minor as a nail sunk in the wrong place could start a chain reaction that could destroy a roof. So take the time to research possible candidates and to learn about the roofing process to help find the right contractor for the job by considering the following important roofing aspects.
- Reputation – Whether starting with online or newspaper ads, a local business directory, or word-of-mouth comments, look for local contractors with good references. It is important to research what others say about a company, so ask a neighbor who has had roofing work done recently whether their experience had a favorable outcome. If there is a local business owner’s association or Chamber of Commerce, find out if any of these professionals are members with these groups.
- Experience – Experience is especially important when dealing with a type of roof or material that is not typical for the area, or is less commonly used. Some roofing surfaces require special training to be correctly applied. It could be asking for future trouble if a builder with no experience in tile, for example, comes to replace a tile roof without actually understanding the uniqueness of the material.
- Estimates – When obtaining estimates, be sure the written report is detailed and specifically lists all areas of damage that are discovered during the inspection. Be sure there is a clause about what happens if the amount of damage changes from what was initially estimated before the job started.
- Price – When it comes to pricing, being offered a suspiciously great deal should be a huge red flag; this could result in inferior workmanship and poor quality material. If an estimate is given that is significantly below the others, this could spell trouble. Confirm if the contractor has a local address and has been at that location for a reasonable period of time; if the location is temporary, they may be gone once the job is completed.
- Contracts – Take a good look at the contract being offered and note of what is and is not covered. Be wary if the coverage seems extremely limited; ask a representative to explain the entire contract in detail including what is paid in case there are problems with the materials or workmanship and any resulting damage. These contracts can be very confusing so it might be a good idea to get someone else to look at the document before signing it.
- Safety – Ask for proof that a builder is licensed, bonded and insured to protect a property owner if there is a problem with the job or in the event someone is hurt while the job is being done. In the unfortunate event a contractor does not have this kind of insurance, any accident, injury or damage that occurs would be the responsibility of the property owner.
It may take some effort, but as long as research and planning is done ahead of time, it is possible to find the right contractor with and end result that is worth the effort. A high-quality job done at a fair price by an experienced professional is sure to provide years of trouble-free roofing for any home or building!
Call Schulte Roofing When You Want the Best, Most Qualified College Station Roofer!
Do you want to find a College Station roofer who is professional and dependable? Contact Schulte Roofing at 800-367-7663 to find knowledgeable contractors who can help you and other College Station area customers decide on what type of roof is the best choice!