Choosing the right roofing material for a roof Houston is as important as choosing the right building location. This is the most challenging part when reroofing or putting up a brand new roofing structure. There are many things to consider when homeowners are in the selection process. Elements to consider include: curb appeal, climate condition, maintenance, financial budget, and material life-expectancy. All of these elements are imperative in making an informed decision.
Roofing Material Advantages
There are many choices of roofing materials in the market. These materials include asphalt shingles, wood shingles, metal, clay tiles, and slate tiles. In choosing the best material from these options, it must be clearly understood the factors associated with each roofing material in order to make a meaningful decision.
- Asphalt Shingles – Composite shingles are a very popular choice of roofing material when compared to other possible options. Some of the advantages are: low maintenance cost; ease of installation; thermal shock resistance; reparability, and aesthetic appeal. Asphalt shingles are made from synthetic substances but can be produced to become natural-looking materials such as wood, clay, or shakes. Asphalt shingles are not only light-weight but low-cost as well.
- Wood Shake – Wood shake comes from various trees but commonly is made from cedar or pine. This is the most natural-looking roofing material. Aside from its natural, attractive and unique looks, it also offers many advantages. Wood shakes deliver excellent insulating capability making it energy efficient and economical. Another known advantage is its durability; it can defy the strong impact of hail storms and heavy rain. Wood shakes can become fire-resistant if they are treated with fire-resistant chemicals. Wood shakes easily adapt to a variety of architectural designs making it a good choice among roofing material.
- Metal – This is an excellent material for residential roof Houston systems in terms of performance. If a homeowner knows how to choose the right roofing materials, this might be the right one. It has the longest life-expectancy among others which is 50 to 100 years. This is non-combustible roofing material so it is rated Class A – fireproof rating. When installed correctly, it can resist hail, high wind, and heavy storms. Metal roofing can be coated with high reflective coatings to reflect radiant heat which makes a house cool during the summer. In addition, this type of material is very light-weight and easy to install.
- Clay Tiles – Currently, this is the most ancient and yet modernistic type of roofing material in the world. Clay tiles are a good roofing selection because of superb quality, superior durability, and lasting appearance. The natural component of clay has the capability to reflect sun’s heat and create a cool and comfortable indoor environment. It can also resist rainfall and snow depending on the degree of inclination. Hurricane-generated wind has no power against this type of material. The lifespan of clay tiles reaches up to 100 years with a lower maintenance cost.
- Slate Tiles – Slate tile is the most desirable roofing material due to its numerous advantages. The tiles are cut from rocks making them extremely durable. These offer a natural look and a pleasing appearance. They are also known to defy high winds and storms.
Various roofing products offer prolonged life-expectancy, durability, eco-friendliness, affordability, and increased curb appeal. To make a wise choice, it is essential to gain knowledge on the advantages of each type of roofing material. Basic knowledge in different roofing material available in the market will help achieve an informed and wise decision. Individual houses can be given added value by choosing the right roofing materials from the wide variety of roof Houston choices!